8-Year-Old Rapper, Zahmire Lopez, Tragically Killed in Newark Gun Violence

Posted by Martina Birk on Monday, May 6, 2024

Young Zahmire Lopez, an 8-year-old with incredible dance moves and budding rap talents, was tragically killed in a shooting at his Newark, New Jersey home. Zahmire, known affectionately by many as “Lil Zah, G,” was remembered for his energy and spirit.

Leontine Niangara, Zahmire’s mother, reminisced about her son’s untitled rap song, expressing, “I was like, ‘Wow!’ I was shocked when I heard it. It’s like a real song. I think it’s at least two minutes long. So I’m like, OK!” The song had become a cherished memory of the joy and enthusiasm Zahmire brought to everyone around him.

Zahmire is now a part of a chilling statistic. He’s among more than 1,300 children and teens who’ve fallen victim to gun violence in the U.S. this year alone, as reported by the Gun Violence Archive. Since 2020, firearms have surpassed motor vehicle accidents as the leading cause of death among the nation’s youth.

“It’s very hard,” Niangara expressed, her pain palpable. “It’s not an hour goes by that I don’t just think about him. It’s hard. Some say when time goes by it gets easier but it doesn’t get easier.”

The tragic incident took place on the evening of May 3. After receiving a distressing 911 call reporting a shooting on Johnson Avenue, police arrived shortly after 8:30 p.m. Zahmire was quickly taken to the hospital but was pronounced dead by 9:14 p.m.

Another individual, 27-year-old Wyleek Shaw, was also fatally wounded in the incident. Meanwhile, Tajion Simmons, 24, sustained non-fatal injuries.

Leontine Niangara described her son Zahmire Lopez as her “shadow.” Courtesy Leontine Niangara

Following the shooting, police confronted 29-year-old Everett Rand, who tried to discard an item in a dumpster. A foot chase ensued which resulted in the fatal shooting of Rand by two police officers. The authorities later recovered two handguns from the scene – one from near Rand and the other, a semi-automatic weapon, from the dumpster. Footage from the police’s body-worn cameras was released on September 18, showcasing the tense confrontation and aftermath of the shooting.

According to Niangara, Rand, the suspected shooter, was her boyfriend. He had frequently spent time with her and her son, and Shaw was Rand’s best friend. Recalling the fateful night, Niangara said, “We were all laughing and then it just turned into hearing gunshots.” She believes drugs played a part, adding, “Everybody’s body or everybody’s mind can’t handle drugs, and it just happened to react badly.”

Zahmire’s premature birth made his sudden loss even more heartbreaking for Niangara. “He fought to even get in this world, so then for his life to end short, it’s just devastating,” she lamented.

Throughout his short life, Zahmire was inseparable from his mother, who described him as her “shadow”. He was the life of the party, always laughing, dancing, and playing sports. Zahmire had a special love for football. After his passing, his team gifted Niangara with the football equipment meant for him. “They knew how much Zahmire wanted to play tackle football,” she mentioned.

Music, football, and family were central to Zahmire’s life, but nothing brought a bigger smile to his face than his dog, Ghost. The blue nose pitbull wasn’t just a pet, but a strategy his mother used to help him overcome his fear of dogs.

Zahmire’s untimely death has profoundly impacted Niangara, making her home a painful reminder of his absence. “At first I didn’t want to move because his last memory was here…But I feel like for my state of mind, I need to (move) because every time I close my eyes, I just relive that night,” she shared.

Now, all that remains are memories, photos, videos, and the poignant rap lyrics Zahmire once crafted, including the eerily prescient line:

“Yeah my name Lil Zah, G. One day I’mma be on TV.”

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7r63Io5innaeoe6S7zGiuqKqcmXqvsdasZmtoYmh8cnyOcWSynZGnerC4w2apmqigmr9uxsChpKKqlWK5sLzEs2StqpGctqSty6WwZqOZobmmsIyipWamlayus7eMoKynZaaevK2xzZycaA%3D%3D